Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Selling games made with RPG Maker

Started by ga5ma5kopx Aug 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM 7 replies 3.6k views
Original Post
ga5ma5kopx
ga5ma5kopx
Just wanted to get the opinions of the community about making commercial games with RPG Maker.
game of thought
game of thought
Don't you will embarrass yourself plus read the license as you may be breaking the law as well
Paul Franzen
Paul Franzen
As someone with absolutely no experience coding with RPG Maker, I have to say...why not? As long as the game's good—and I'm not sure we can assume that every game made with RPG Maker is necessarily of a low quality—I'd be willing to pay $$$ for it. In fact, I bet a lot of people would.
Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games! My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress
RLS0812
RLS0812
The key to selling games made wit this, is having one heck of a good artist to make character portraits & sprites. and a professional author ( or avid D&D dungeon master ).

I have played around with RPG Maker in the past, and I must say that this game creation system is outdated. True some folks will buy old style RPGs, but as a whole the market for this, is over saturated with so-so games.
If you want to try sell games made this way, I would suggest having a demo with one heck of a story to it.

If you wisht to try your hand at creating 2D RPGs with out paying $$ for it, here is a free 2D MMORPG maker to get a feel for it http://mmorpgmaker.org (( I have used this as well ))
I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
2DExtremeOwner
2DExtremeOwner
Or you could try Game Maker from Yoyogames. Its another option and one that's well known and used by many.
jbadams
jbadams

Don't you will embarrass yourself

Why are you assuming it would be embarrassing to publish a game made with RPG maker? I think this falls under the second category from my list of 4 reasons you aren't a successful indie developer: "You think it matters that you're using 'real' languages and 'real' tools". Assuming the OP made a good quality game using RPG Maker, and was able to distribute it in a sensible way that didn't bother the end-user with weird install issues or the like, there's absolutely no reason the game couldn't be successful and popular -- as long as it doesn't affect their game play, players simply don't care how a game was made, as shown by Paul's example of a successful game made with RPG Maker.

Your advice to check the licence was a good idea -- but from a quick look it seems there's absolutely no reason you can't sell an RPG Maker game, assuming you don't do anything silly like importing copyrighted graphics from another game.



While we're listing possible alternatives, you could also consider Scirra's Construct 2.
- Jason Astle-Adams
d000hg
d000hg
Didn't one of GD's own major contests get won by a GameMaker game one year?
Icie Juicy
Icie Juicy
I love that article jbadams, huge insight into some pitfalls to avoid!

From the wiki about To The Moon that was posted above, it sounds like there has been some success with using RPG Maker in the past, if done right. So I wouldn't be too discouraged about the outlook of this type of game.
It's a work-in-progress: Ruin Studios

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.