Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

simple c++ game

Started by phil67rpg Aug 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM 7 replies 3.9k views
Original Post
phil67rpg
phil67rpg
I am currently studying through Beginning C++ through game programming 3ed.by dawson.I want to do a little project while I am working through this book.I am also doing the exercises at the end of each chapter.
LennyLen
LennyLen
Is there a question in there somewhere? ;)
dimitri.adamou
dimitri.adamou
If you want to do a project then do it. You have our permission
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
phil67rpg, I don't know how else to say this, other than the fact that your poor posting style is putting people off from helping you (actually, it makes it impossible for them to help you). Use punctuation properly ("put a space after ',' and '.' and capitalize the first letter after '.'"), stop trying to take the easy way out (when you post, put some actual effort into it (and when you program too; CS is not for the lazy)), and start objectively reading your posts before you hit the "Post" button (to make sure they make sense and are very clear for the rest of the world (we are not psychic) (as I read it, your OP has absolutely no point)). People are taking time out of their day to try and help you. Respect that.

If you do not improve your punctuation, laziness, and posting quality, I will not help you anymore, and I think you'll find others on this site less willing to help you as well. I want to help you (I enjoy helping people when I can; it's my way of saying thanks to all those who have helped me), but I cannot, and will not, if things don't improve.
phil67rpg
phil67rpg
ok corn point well taken.
mmakrzem
mmakrzem
Start with something simple like a 2D game. If you are not familiar with OpenGL or DirectX rendering yet, then do it all with ASCII text.
kop0113
kop0113
marek-knows.com,

You mean using something like (n)curses? Interesting.. you see I feel that OpenGL is much easier to learn than ASCII nowerdays.

Perhaps it is because there are many more tutorials / blogs dedicated to OpenGL than text based games.
Shame because ascii art games look awesome and geeky ;)

A Pokemon game over SSH would be a dream come true!
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

marek-knows.com,

You mean using something like (n)curses? Interesting.. you see I feel that OpenGL is much easier to learn than ASCII nowerdays.

Perhaps it is because there are many more tutorials / blogs dedicated to OpenGL than text based games.
Shame because ascii art games look awesome and geeky ;)

A Pokemon game over SSH would be a dream come true!

Not ASCII art. He meant a text-based game, like a MUD, or Tic-Tac-Toe, or "Guess the number," etc. I don't think he was encouraging the use of ncurses or any other library than just C++'s standard [font=courier new,courier,monospace]std::cout + std::cin[/font].
kop0113
kop0113
Ah right lol.

I guess his suggestion of starting a simple 2D game is what threw me.

sleep.png
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.