Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

New to programming -- learning C#

Started by skullfalker Aug 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM 1 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
skullfalker
skullfalker
Hello everyone, Im new to programming and game development all together but i have a hunger to start creating a game. Now first off I'd just like to say that yes i do understand it takes a great deal of hard work, dedication, learning, hours and frustration to create even a so-so game. With that said im not saying "I WANT TO MAKE MY OWN MMO!" No, i understand thats an impossibility. What I am saying is that I would like to eventually create an isometric rts (and yes i also understand that even that is a feat on its own). Secondly I just want you all to understand that I AM THE BIGGEST NOOB EVER! when it comes to anything programming and game dev. So lets asume i know absolutely nothing at all, but i am not completely incompetent, i can learn and i am very passionate about getting into the game dev comunity.

So with all that out of the way I just have a few questions if you all would be so kind to answer them.

I have read that learning C# is probably the best place to start as a beginner in game dev so i have chosen to do so. Is this a good or bad decision?

Now I see that there is a visual C#, C#, C#.Net and so on. My question is which one should i learn? Are they even different or essentially the same thing? Can someon break this down for me, in lamens terms please. Also i see there are different versions of C# like 4, 4.5 and 5. Do i need to concern myself with this at the moment or no?

What sorts of programs do i need to start game dev?

And last, how is a game structured? I know you need an engine, and somewhere code comes into play to handle more complex actions in the game.... and thats as far as my understanding goes at the moment I understand this is a broad question and may not pertain to the this topic but if someone could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond,

skull
jbadams
jbadams
Please note: This topic was split from the discussion "C# Learning Sources".

Part of one of the replies was relevant, so I'll just quote it here:

visual C# is just C# being developed within Visual Studio. C#.net I've NEVER seen referred to but one would assume that its C# on .net. I've never heard of C# 4.5 either, it went straight from 4 to 5 (which isn't actually released fully yet). C#5 will be fully released alongside .net 4.5 though which might be where your getting that from. For now C#4 is still the norm and theres plenty of C#3 code around. Your best off with 4, I think C#5 is backwards compatible with 4 anyway.
For now ignore games. You need to work on programming abilities first. This means only software required is Visual C# Express 2010 (A stripped down version of Visual Studio that only works with C# and is missing a few features that you won't need yet).
This is thread hijacking which I believe is against forum rules.
- Jason Astle-Adams
mmakrzem
mmakrzem
You may be interested in heading on over to 3dbuzz.com, where you'll find some really good game development tutorials using C#

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.