Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Help needed with Visual Studio

Started by Aliii Sep 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM 2 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
Aliii
Aliii
Its sort of offtopic, sorry.
I got a new job where I have to use Visual Studio 2010. Im used to netbeans and it freaks me out that I cant find some basic tools that Netbeans has, ...like Ctrl + Click on functions, constructors, identifiers, anything ....navigating with Alt + left-right arrows, ....double click on something highlights it everywhere in the code and in the scrollbar too.

(We are working on a HUGE code which would slow down the VS so instead of VS database we use Tomato Visual Assist to map the code structure, ....I switched back to VSs database and it was the same)

Do these things have an alternative in VS? ....or some extensions for it?
Thanks!
Hodgman
Hodgman
we use Tomato Visual Assist
Be thankful, that extension does great things for VS! Every professional VS developer should have it
I think you can configure visual assist to allow ctrl click, but the default is to place the cursor on a symbol and press alt + G (maybe ctrl + double click also works).
I'm not sure what alt + left/right do in Netbeans, but the equivalent might be ctrl + +/-.

Regarding the scrollbar, check out the metascroll addon.
Ripiz
Ripiz
Ctrl+Click:

  1. right click > go to definition/declaration
  2. highlight and press F12
  3. view > code definition window, it'll show definitions automatically of whatever you click

Alt + Arrows:

  • Ctrl + Alt + PgDwn/PgUp

    Highlight:

    1. Get extension (can't remember if it highlights in scrollbar)
    2. Get VS2012 (doesn't highlight in scrollbar)

    VS2012 has much better syntax highlighting than VS2010, no plugins required for that, it doesn't seem to be slow either.
NinjAndroid
NinjAndroid
you can also try tools like ReSharper or VisualAssist that maximize VS2010 usage
MoMinis R&D team

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.