Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Need advice in contacting EA Canada, original developers of Need for Speed 3 - Hot Pursuit

Started by Markie Sep 2, 2012 at 6:15 AM 3 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
Markie
Markie
Hi all,

I don't know a better forum here on Gamedev to post this to.

I am participating in the modding community of the 1998 PC game "Need for Speed 3 - Hot Pursuit". I just discovered a bug which limits the fun of the game and could be fixed pretty easily if one had the source code. It's simply a (missing) minus sign in one formula which applies the rolling effect of cars the wrong way around.
See this post here http://www.nfscars.n...ead.php?t=36024 on www.nfscars.net for details.

Basically I am trying to either find someone who can patch this bug, or get the information I need to patch it myself (source code parts).
For this I need to contact the original developers, I think that was EA Canada. Unfortunately EA is one of those "wise" companies who don't use their websites to publish their contact information (boy, how I hate that...). Can anyone help?
Does anyone know how I should go about this?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

If this post is in the wrong forum here, please feel free to move it to the right one.
Thanks.

Greetings,
Mark
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care
I really doubt anybody at EAC remembers anything about that codebase.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper

I am participating in the modding community of the 1998 PC game
Basically I am trying to either find someone who can patch this bug, or get the information I need to patch it myself (source code parts).


Markie, the game is 14 years old. This is probably a hopeless quest. But if you're determined to talk to folks at EA or an EA office, you need to use the telephone.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
Markie
Markie
Thanks guys.
I realize the game is 14 years old. I like classic (old) games. Just like I like classic cars. smile.png
Which is the whole point of restoring it. Of bringing it "back to glory" so to say! smile.png
And exactly why I hope people won't make a copyright fuss about getting some code to make a patch.

Mark
cowsarenotevil
cowsarenotevil

Thanks guys.
I realize the game is 14 years old. I like classic (old) games. Just like I like classic cars. smile.png
Which is the whole point of restoring it. Of bringing it "back to glory" so to say! smile.png
And exactly why I hope people won't make a copyright fuss about getting some code to make a patch.

Mark


I doubt they'll be willing/able to send you the code, but if it's an easy fix and you can pin down the location, why not try disassembling it? There are lots of debuggers that let you disasemble executables as they run so it might be relatively easy. If not there are a lot of old game enthusiasts with reverse engineering skills who would probably help you out.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.