Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

C# Java Objective-C need Experts Advices

Started by Kaven Marenger Sep 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM 0 replies 3.3k views
Original Post
Kaven Marenger
Kaven Marenger

I want to learn C# or Java or Objective-C... I want to know what's the strenght and weakness of each platforms like J2EE and .Net Framework and which one is safer long term in the future... here near Toronto, Montreal etc there is like 6 Java jobs for each C# jobs...

First of all I've been advised by some experienced programmers that Java is safer because it's more cross platform and the android mobile market as to be considered and that jvm languages are winning in the cloud... he told me too there is a lot of Java code out there to maintain... another told me that I should learn C# instead because a lot of corporation prefer to use Asp.Net for web dev instead of Java and because I have a good background already in System Admins & Networkings stuffs like Windows Server, Active Directory, Dns, Dhcp, Sharepoint, Exhange etc so C# would do wonders in that microsoft world for me, but again another said too Java is big on Back-End server stuffs running linux etc

Secondly, one of them told me the IOS market was rising really fast and dominating and I should study Objective-C because it's getting in demands and mobile dev is the future... he said Android was fragmented a lot and slow compared to Native Apps and that Windows 8 could flop or not be able to catch up to Android & IOS so .Net could be going away slowly because Html5/Javascript apps with C++ native apps will eat alive .Net managed apps on mobile performance wize....he think xaml could be replaced by Html5 too and silverlight future doesn't look very good now...


So now I need expert advices on which to choose because I seriously plan to do a full time study of 1 of them 10-15hr's a day for the next 10months I have all my time but I don't want to waste it I am really serious... it would sucks to study very hard technologies like WPF,XAML, .Net framework who could be replaced by all the mobile dev if the desktop dev die off etc


Thank you very much for your time and please don't be shy to go deep in your answers I really need it


Tyffa

kunos
kunos
If you were really interested in learning things about these languages you'd be just using google and find GBs of language wars to entertain yourself, how is this thread supposed to be any different from the other thousands threads on the internet with the same subject?

Short story.. if you are serious about being a developer you'll be using all of these techs at some point in your life. Nobody has magic balls to see into the future, the decision about how to invest your time can only be yours.
To add on the futility of this thread, you didn't say what are you actually trying to do... languages are tools to do things... any given job might have one or more tools that are best fit for it... if you learn to learn, it doesn't really matter... just throw a dice, pick one and get going.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.