Original Post
I'm making a game for android. It is 2D and uses the android graphics toolkit (not OpenGL ES).
My game entities consist of several frames that are updated as time passes. Each frame is a different image.
Note that I'm not using the Bitmap class directly, but a wrapper I made called "GreenBitmap". It has a Bitmap inside and uses reference counting to reuse it when needed (so that it will not be loaded more than once). So for example if I have three Actors, the frames for all of them will be loaded only once and reused.
I'm also calculating how many samples to use to reduce memory consumption.
Here's the problem. I have a class named "Human" that has 20 frames of animation. The frames are only a few KB big. On the emulator the game runs, but it gives me OutOfMemoryException (or Error, I don't remember) on HTC One X (!).
I've read somewhere that images aren't stored on the garbage collected heap (which is guaranteed to be 16MB) but on a different, native heap that has limited memory.
Does anyone know what I can do to solve this? Why does it run on the emulator and not on a top class phone?
Is there a way to load the images in the garbage collected heap?
Thanks.
My game entities consist of several frames that are updated as time passes. Each frame is a different image.
Note that I'm not using the Bitmap class directly, but a wrapper I made called "GreenBitmap". It has a Bitmap inside and uses reference counting to reuse it when needed (so that it will not be loaded more than once). So for example if I have three Actors, the frames for all of them will be loaded only once and reused.
package com.greenbits.RiverCross;
import android.content.res.Resources;
import android.graphics.Bitmap;
import android.graphics.BitmapFactory;
import android.util.Log;
import android.util.SparseArray;
public class GreenBitmap
{
private static SparseArray<Entry> map = new SparseArray<Entry>();
public Bitmap bitmap;
private int id;
/**
* @param drawableID The ID of the image
* @return The width of the image
*/
public static float getBitmapWidth(Resources res, int drawableID)
{
BitmapFactory.Options o = new BitmapFactory.Options();
o.inJustDecodeBounds = true;
BitmapFactory.decodeResource(res, drawableID, o);
return o.outWidth;
}
/**
* @param drawableID The ID of the image
* @return The height of the image
*/
public static float getBitmapHeight(Resources res, int drawableID)
{
BitmapFactory.Options o = new BitmapFactory.Options();
o.inJustDecodeBounds = true;
BitmapFactory.decodeResource(res, drawableID, o);
return o.outHeight;
}
public GreenBitmap(Resources res, int drawableID)
{
id = drawableID;
Entry e = null;
// if the ID doesn't exist (i.e the bitmap isn't stored), load it
if( (e = map.get(drawableID)) == null )
{
bitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(res, drawableID); // load the bitmap
e = new Entry(bitmap, 1); // create a new entry
map.put(drawableID, e); // put it in the map
}
else
{
bitmap = e.bitmap;
++e.count;
}
}
public GreenBitmap(Resources res, int drawableID, int requiredWidth, int requiredHeight)
{
// first use Options with inJustDecodeBounds to get the image's dimensions
BitmapFactory.Options options = new BitmapFactory.Options();
options.inJustDecodeBounds = true;
BitmapFactory.decodeResource(res, drawableID, options);
// calculate inSampleSize
options.inSampleSize = calculateInSampleSize(options, requiredWidth, requiredHeight);
options.inJustDecodeBounds = false;
id = drawableID;
Entry e = null;
// if the ID doesn't exist (i.e the bitmap isn't stored), load it
if( (e = map.get(drawableID)) == null )
{
bitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(res, drawableID, options); // load the bitmap
e = new Entry(bitmap, 1); // create a new entry
map.put(drawableID, e); // put it in the map
}
else
{
bitmap = e.bitmap;
++e.count;
}
}
public static int calculateInSampleSize(BitmapFactory.Options options, int reqWidth, int reqHeight)
{
// Raw height and width of image
final int height = options.outHeight;
final int width = options.outWidth;
int inSampleSize = 1;
if (height > reqHeight || width > reqWidth)
{
if (width > height)
inSampleSize = Math.round((float)height / (float)reqHeight);
else
inSampleSize = Math.round((float)width / (float)reqWidth);
}
return inSampleSize;
}
/**
* @return The internal Bitmap object. You can also use the public 'bitmap' member.
*/
public Bitmap get()
{
return bitmap;
}
public void recycle()
{
Entry e = map.get(id);
--e.count;
//Log.e("GreenBitmap", "count of ID " + id + " was lowered to " + e.count);
if( e.count == 0 )
{
e.bitmap.recycle();
map.remove(id);
//Log.e("GreenBitmap", "Bitmap " + id + " was recycled");
}
}
private static class Entry
{
public Bitmap bitmap;
public int count;
public Entry(Bitmap _b, int _c)
{
bitmap = _b;
count = _c;
}
}
}
I'm also calculating how many samples to use to reduce memory consumption.
Here's the problem. I have a class named "Human" that has 20 frames of animation. The frames are only a few KB big. On the emulator the game runs, but it gives me OutOfMemoryException (or Error, I don't remember) on HTC One X (!).
I've read somewhere that images aren't stored on the garbage collected heap (which is guaranteed to be 16MB) but on a different, native heap that has limited memory.
Does anyone know what I can do to solve this? Why does it run on the emulator and not on a top class phone?
Is there a way to load the images in the garbage collected heap?
Thanks.