Original Post
I am an experienced Electronics Engineering technician with a fairly strong background in programming, I took programming classes all through high school and even took a few years of programmer/systems analyst in college before switching to electronics. Recently an old friend of mine from my childhood has looked me up and it seems he has taken a year of programming in college and has an idea for a good 2D beat em up game. We have always dreamed of making video games since we were kids and now that we are both 24+ and have the skills and capacity to actually make our game we have gotten back into working together and have come up with some pretty original and exiting ideas for our game.
The problem is we both use different languages and techniques cause we went to different schools in different countries. I am not experienced with game design as I have only ever made pong or arknoid back in high school. I still have a lot of researching to do. My friend on the other hand seems to know a bit more about the industry. With all that said on to the game stuff.
We plan on making a beat em up style game with a lot of mini games and items. large story lines and areas with live instrument music. we want the graphics to be similar to later m.a.m.e. beat em ups or almost like a super nintendo or GBA style but better. We just dont know what language we should both learn together to start making the game.
many websites say python, or xna with c++. some say c#. I dont want to waste my time learning a language that is way too complicated for our needs. Can anyone point me in the right direction of which languages are best for a metal slug/streets of rage beat em up with a long story? the game is not online mmo or anything like that.
The problem is we both use different languages and techniques cause we went to different schools in different countries. I am not experienced with game design as I have only ever made pong or arknoid back in high school. I still have a lot of researching to do. My friend on the other hand seems to know a bit more about the industry. With all that said on to the game stuff.
We plan on making a beat em up style game with a lot of mini games and items. large story lines and areas with live instrument music. we want the graphics to be similar to later m.a.m.e. beat em ups or almost like a super nintendo or GBA style but better. We just dont know what language we should both learn together to start making the game.
many websites say python, or xna with c++. some say c#. I dont want to waste my time learning a language that is way too complicated for our needs. Can anyone point me in the right direction of which languages are best for a metal slug/streets of rage beat em up with a long story? the game is not online mmo or anything like that.