Original Post
Hey everyone,
I was hoping to start a discussion regarding game design on Real Time Tactics games.
By Real Tactics, I mean games like Men of war or Dawn of War 2 where the focus of the game is not base building or resource gathering, but more the combat tactics around it.
Now, these games have one thing in common.
Terrain is important, terrain can give the units defensive bonus, penalties, soldiers can get inside buildings (again for extra cover).
Units usually aren't built with resources that you harvest with units, instead the player can capture control points, and they generate points , and these points gives the player the ability to build more units, or add units to the squads.
I think RTT games are kind of an evolution from RTS games, they exist because people were getting tired of the gameplay mechanics behind RTS games.
I have been thinking where can we go next after RTT games, but I can't figure out a gameplay mechanic that would be refreshing to the RTT space.
So, what would you guys like to see in a RTT game? Either stuff that's been done before or new features?
I was hoping to start a discussion regarding game design on Real Time Tactics games.
By Real Tactics, I mean games like Men of war or Dawn of War 2 where the focus of the game is not base building or resource gathering, but more the combat tactics around it.
Now, these games have one thing in common.
Terrain is important, terrain can give the units defensive bonus, penalties, soldiers can get inside buildings (again for extra cover).
Units usually aren't built with resources that you harvest with units, instead the player can capture control points, and they generate points , and these points gives the player the ability to build more units, or add units to the squads.
I think RTT games are kind of an evolution from RTS games, they exist because people were getting tired of the gameplay mechanics behind RTS games.
I have been thinking where can we go next after RTT games, but I can't figure out a gameplay mechanic that would be refreshing to the RTT space.
So, what would you guys like to see in a RTT game? Either stuff that's been done before or new features?