Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

beginner tutorials?

Started by ar_lewis05 Sep 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM 6 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
ar_lewis05
ar_lewis05
Hi, I'm just joining and I want to get into game development. I, like many of you, I assume, have been wanting to get into game development for a long time. I am already a developer (Oracle PL/ SQL) I have plenty of experience with C++, Java, and V.NET. My problem is I really don't know where to start with game development. Can someone give me some advice on what tools you used when you started? What is a good free IDE /compiler to use. Where can I find some good beginner tutorials? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.
Serapth
Serapth
What language?

I suppose regardless to which language, read this. It is generally written for someone with no programming experience, but for the most popular languages it contains IDE, library, book and link suggestions for each. You really need to pick a language and library before we can give specific tutorial suggestions, but that guide will certainly get you started.


Of course, it isnt a comprehensive guide, there are also HTML frameworks out the wazoo, a number of Lua based systems rising in popularity ( Love, Corona, Moai, etc... ) and much more not covered.
Goran Milovanovic
Goran Milovanovic
You can watch my Blender Game Engine video tutorials: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/625003-video-tutorials-blender-game-engine/

I'm also working on a fairly detailed Python 3 programming series ( I build a small memory match game from scratch ), which can be found on my channel.

Good luck.
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Game Dev video tutorials  ->   http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +-------------------------------------
LennyLen
LennyLen
Sticking with what you know is generally the best idea, so if you are already experienced with C++ and Java, then go with one of those as their are plenty of libraries available for both and you've already scaled a large part of the learning curve. Java also has the advantage of being the development language of choice for Android.

IDE choice is partly dependent on what platforms you want to target and what language you choose. If you only care about Windows, then the Express version of Visual Studio is probably the best IDE you can get. I use Code::Blocks myself, as I prefer to work with GCC to produce cross-platform code easily.

For video tutorials, you can try this guy. He's very good at explaining things (so long as you can stand his voice), and covers Allegro, Allegro 5, SFML and XNA which are all game programming libraries. He also a has a series on Android development.
jbadams
jbadams

Start here:
http://www.khanacade...gramming-basics

That's an ok link for a beginner to programming, but the original poster is already an experienced programmer who just wants to learn about games. cool.png
- Jason Astle-Adams

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.