Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Want to join java project

Started by hoppfull Sep 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM 1 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
hoppfull
hoppfull
Hello. I'm learning Java right now. Started for realsies like six months ago. I've been in 3D for over 12 years. I know lots of math (university level, first year, linear algebra, calculus and so on) and physics.

I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for things to do in programming so I was hoping that there might be some project out there that I might join. It doesn't have to be games. All I want is like, "Hey, could you make a class with methods for figuring out these things?" and "I don't understand your commentary, make it clearer!" and "The names for methods usually use these conventions, please rename!" or "There's a bug in your code, find it!" and so on.

Reason I come to this forum is becouse games are closely related to what I already have a lot of experience in. And my dream is to one day be able to make procedural graphics; making rocks, trees, clouds, water and terrain out of formulas. I know a lot of it can be made in theory.

Thanks in advance! And appologies if this is the wrong forum!
larsbutler
larsbutler
Hmm, well one idea that comes to mind is to contribute to some open source project. Find something that interests you, and then:

  • Subscribe to the mailing list.
  • If possible, just use the software (hard to do if it's just a library). Become a power user.
  • Get your development environment set up so you can build and test the project. (This is a given, but the importance of this cannot be overstated.)
  • Find the bug/issue tracker site for the project.
  • Look at code submissions from the community. Read the code. Try to understand it. Ask questions about it.
  • Find some "low-hanging fruit" in the issue tracker. Write some code to address it. If you get stuck, ask questions on the mailing list/IRC/whatever.
hoppfull
hoppfull
wow, that sounds really cool! Thanks! "Open source project" I'll look it up on google.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.