Original Post
Hi there,
I was recently able to restor the sourcecode of an old project (Bomberfun Tournament) and was trying to get it compiled with Visual Studio 2010. The project has been developed with Visual Studio .NET 2003 based upon DirectX 9.0c (don't ask which of the updates...).
Althouth it worked more or less good, I am wondering about the DirectX directories. In the past, I configured the executable, include and library directories in the Visual Studio options dialog. Nowadays, the dialog reminds me friendly, that those settings have been moved to the project properties.
Since DirectX installs itself into directories such as
I was recently able to restor the sourcecode of an old project (Bomberfun Tournament) and was trying to get it compiled with Visual Studio 2010. The project has been developed with Visual Studio .NET 2003 based upon DirectX 9.0c (don't ask which of the updates...).
Althouth it worked more or less good, I am wondering about the DirectX directories. In the past, I configured the executable, include and library directories in the Visual Studio options dialog. Nowadays, the dialog reminds me friendly, that those settings have been moved to the project properties.
Since DirectX installs itself into directories such as
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (December 2004) or
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)
I was wondering, what your best practices are in regards to a proper configuration.
Is it possible to have different versions of DirectX installed to different directories, but have some sort of symbolic link from something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK Current to the respective installation directory and have this "directory" set in all the properties of the specific projects?
EDIT: Such a dumb question... the setup configures an environment variable which is available in VS as $(DXSDK_DIR) ... d'oh...
Cheers,
Christian.