Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Today's xkcd: Click and Drag

Started by Cornstalks Sep 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM 22 replies 5.2k views
Original Post
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
Ok guys (and gals): this is so awesome I had to make sure each of you see it.

So yeah. What have you found? I'm currently lost in the mine. I did find the fish and water in the cave though... so much to explore...
FLeBlanc
FLeBlanc
That's kind of badass. I found the first level of Super Mario Brothers.
Bacterius
Bacterius

Ok guys (and gals): this is so awesome I had to make sure each of you see it.

So yeah. What have you found? I'm currently lost in the mine. I did find the fish and water in the cave though... so much to explore...

I found the two-mile gap and scrolled across it for ten minutes like a moron sad.png
“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
AoS
AoS
I got all the way to the right side where the balloon dude wonders where he will float next. Debating whether to go left.
kseh
kseh
Found some kind of squid floating in the sky like the ones in the sea. Some tree with a guy sitting under it in the mine. A flock of birds just high enough off the ground to miss it if you're following the horizon.

As cool as those things were, I couldn't help but thing the flowers in the grass were a really cool little detail most people would gloss over.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

As cool as those things were, I couldn't help but thing the flowers in the grass were a really cool little detail most people would gloss over.

I was actually thinking this. The grass (and terrain and even the waves) are all of great quality. It's one thing to add cool hidden things over a 10km map, but it's another thing to detail the mundane things too.
jefferytitan
jefferytitan
Damn..... like... damn.... How often does a web page give you instructions (click and drag) which are for real and cool?
RLS0812
RLS0812
I found the Oregon Trail reference smile.png
I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bacterius
Bacterius
Slight spoiler ahead:
[spoiler]Huh. It would seem the landscape loops seamlessly - I went left and ended up where I was yesterday. Except that yesterday, I went right.[/spoiler]
“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
AoS
AoS
I hit the edge of the right side and couldn't go further. And there was the balloon guy indicating the end. Are you sure it looped?
Bacterius
Bacterius
Yeah, unless my memory is failing me: yesterday I headed right until I reached the rocket launch site, then today went to the left and found the launch site again. I do not recall any such balloon guy - although I was referred to the comic yesterday at xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de (do not visit if you want to keep the click & drag feel) instead of xkcd.com, maybe that one loops and I missed the balloon guy.

EDIT: yeah... it loops and I didn't get the balloon guy's hint - I thought the huge pit was part of the map LOL I am so stupid. Ignore me laugh.png

[spoiler]Can you find the minecraft reference wink.png [/spoiler]
“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
This really needs Google-maps style "Link to this location", I'm lost in the caves. Now hold on, I'm going to throw you a death postponer.

[Edit:] Found the Nautilus, I think.
d000hg
d000hg
Very cool but the UI sucks ;) Needs keyboard input.

Am I the only one sure there are tons of hidden things up in the sky (like the squid but like 100m up)?

A way to see the whole think on one zoomed out image would rock.

What's the tech used, anything clever?
slicer4ever
slicer4ever
I was thinking it'd be cool to create a small game out of this, basically plop a small stickman into the canvas, and use the black pixels for collision, and give him some type of balloon to float, and it'd be pretty awesome to explore.
brx
brx


A way to see the whole think on one zoomed out image would rock.


The link provided by Bacterius allows that: http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de
d000hg
d000hg
Awesome, I'd missed that. If anything seeing it that way is more impressive... I totally missed the underground part.


As for games, well it could make a Worms level, or a really MASSIVE StickSoldiers map (one for the old-timers)
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
Anyone else find the raptors?
([size=2]Farthest left, between the last stick figures and the radar dish [size=2][link to location])


What's the tech used, anything clever?

Javascript, with the image broken into chunks. It streams the images in as you move, which is why the page loaded so surprisingly quickly.
The comic image (with a hole in it) is layed over the javascript'd area nicely.

It is clever design-wise how he made it seem like a completely ordinary comic (and the page loaded as fast as a normal comic), so you have no clue until you read the tooltip and try dragging, not knowing what to expect.
FoxBox
FoxBox
Found a miner being chased by a creeper... somewhere. So many cool things in this map

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.