Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

opengl 3

Started by giugio Sep 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM 4 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
giugio
giugio
hello.
I wish create an opengl context with viewport ecc...in opengl 3 but without using glut.
there are some examples on opengl.org or in this forum or articles ?
I can't find nothing.
thanks
Brother Bob
Brother Bob
Do you want to avoind GLUT specifically, or do you want to avoid any third-party window manager? There are plenty of other window managers if you want to avoid GLUT; see the list of frameworks in the Getting Starter box in the OpenGL forum. If you want to avoid any third-party window manager then you have to use the API provided by the operating system. On Windows, that would be the Windows API for example. Check the first tutorials on nehe.gamedev.net for tutorials for many different platforms and frameworks.
giugio
giugio
I'm sorry, but I read the first tutorial and it has nothing to do with the api windows and opengl 3 can you post me another url?
thanks.
21st Century Moose
21st Century Moose
I'm not sure how you missed it, but the first NeHe tutorial is called "Setting up an OpenGL Window" and is right here: http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/creating_an_opengl_window_%28win32%29/13001/

There is no difference between this code and the code required for GL3, and the code in this tutorial most definitely does use the Windows API.
Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls. 
Brother Bob
Brother Bob
The very first tutorial is called "Setting Up An OpenGL Window" and has everything to do with setting up a window. The Getting Started box I also mentioned has information on how to set up a 3.0 or later version of the rendering context.
giugio
giugio
sorry.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.