Original Post
Hello,
I've looked around and didn't really see any "newbie" forums so I thought I would post here.
I am not a game developer, but a musician with a love for video games. I am a bassist, play some guitar, and have been heavily working with MIDI in Reason as of late.
In another post on my favorite forum (talkbass.com) I detailed my goals for music, and one of them was to see my music in a video game that has the same effect that some of it has on me. It will be along pursuit, no doubt, and as a newbie I expect to be put through the wringer and made a better composer because of it.
I'm 17 years old and graduated from high school in June. I've been playing video games since I was 4 but didn't even pick up music until 10 years later. I can read music fairly well and have been trying very hard to increase my skills since school let out and I decided I wanted to make a life of music.
If there were one composer who I could say made me decide, it would be Tomohito Nishiura (specifically, Dark Cloud 1 and 2). Further cementing that choice would be Motoi Sakuraba. I first experienced his work in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, but he is also a solo artist. Also interested in acts like Crush 40.
Until now I have largely been a live rock band bassist. Non video game music I enjoy includes Avenged Sevenfold, Opeth, Katatonia, Pink Floyd, Tool, Protest the Hero, etc. However, I listen to a wide variety of things from 80's pop to Weather Report. I have also been listening to a lot more classical and baroque pieces as a result of learning to play the Bach Cello Suites on my bass guitar.
I think that is everything about me. I hope I haven't broken any rules with this post. I imagine I will stay largely on this side of the forum, but I look forward to my stay here.
Thank you all for the time and in advance for any advice you have!
I've looked around and didn't really see any "newbie" forums so I thought I would post here.
I am not a game developer, but a musician with a love for video games. I am a bassist, play some guitar, and have been heavily working with MIDI in Reason as of late.
In another post on my favorite forum (talkbass.com) I detailed my goals for music, and one of them was to see my music in a video game that has the same effect that some of it has on me. It will be along pursuit, no doubt, and as a newbie I expect to be put through the wringer and made a better composer because of it.
I'm 17 years old and graduated from high school in June. I've been playing video games since I was 4 but didn't even pick up music until 10 years later. I can read music fairly well and have been trying very hard to increase my skills since school let out and I decided I wanted to make a life of music.
If there were one composer who I could say made me decide, it would be Tomohito Nishiura (specifically, Dark Cloud 1 and 2). Further cementing that choice would be Motoi Sakuraba. I first experienced his work in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, but he is also a solo artist. Also interested in acts like Crush 40.
Until now I have largely been a live rock band bassist. Non video game music I enjoy includes Avenged Sevenfold, Opeth, Katatonia, Pink Floyd, Tool, Protest the Hero, etc. However, I listen to a wide variety of things from 80's pop to Weather Report. I have also been listening to a lot more classical and baroque pieces as a result of learning to play the Bach Cello Suites on my bass guitar.
I think that is everything about me. I hope I haven't broken any rules with this post. I imagine I will stay largely on this side of the forum, but I look forward to my stay here.
Thank you all for the time and in advance for any advice you have!