Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

IDE most comparable to VS

Started by MattProductions Oct 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM 20 replies 6.5k views
Original Post
MattProductions
MattProductions
Hi guys!

I have a solid basis in programming and I'm learning Java at the moment.
I also know C++, VB.net, etc...

My IDE has always been Visual studio (2008-2010-2012), but that doesnt support Java.
What IDE do you guys suggest that is similar to VS (I'll use it for some simple games).

I have used the search option, but most topics were 11-4 years old tongue.png

Thanks!
MattProductions
MattProductions
Thanks guys, keep them coming.

I'll definitely check Netbeans out.
I already tried Eclipse, but I was overwhelmed with all options they gave me, just to create a project (I chickened out...)

Moar IDE's, moar thanks!
MattProductions
MattProductions
And just another question.

What is the difference between Java SE/FX/EE/ME/...
I have to choose a version of Netbeans to download
What's the best one for game development?

Thanks again!
renega_666
renega_666
There is also the excellent IntellJ idea (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/index.html)
Daaark
Daaark
I've been using Eclipse, and so far, it seems to be working well enough.
Ripiz
Ripiz
Visual Studio 2012 IDE is much better. Eclipse/Netbeans are only comperable to Visual Studio 2010 (it had only keyword coloring), while VS2012 also colors #defines, classes, structs, typedefs, there is possibility to configure appearance of methods, local variables, fields, params/args, global variables. I've Googled a lot but VS2012 is best you can get, and it's even free for 'basic' version.
MattProductions
MattProductions
Thanks guys, but now another question.

What is the difference between Java SE/FX/EE/ME/...
I have to choose a version of Netbeans to download
What's the best one for game development?
MichaBen
MichaBen

while VS2012 also colors #defines, classes, structs, typedefs, there is possibility to configure appearance of methods, local variables, fields, params/args, global variables.

Which is what the average open source IDE had for a couple of years already...
SimonForsman
SimonForsman

[quote name='Ashaman73' timestamp='1349702586' post='4987985']
A very good and free IDE is eclipse IDE for java.


Eclipse is pretty much the Java IDE least like Visual Studio...
[/quote]

If you have a real beast of a machine Eclipse is pretty darn kickass for Java. (Its slow as .... on the average PC though which is by far its biggest flaw), The semi-automatic fixes for common errors and superior code completion is imo the best thing since sliced bread and something i really miss when i work with C# in Visual Studio. I wouldn't mind it being a bit less slow though.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Telastyn
Telastyn

If you have a real beast of a machine Eclipse is pretty darn kickass for Java. (Its slow as .... on the average PC though which is by far its biggest flaw), The semi-automatic fixes for common errors and superior code completion is imo the best thing since sliced bread and something i really miss when i work with C# in Visual Studio. I wouldn't mind it being a bit less slow though.


I don't doubt it. But at least when I looked at eclipse (maybe 4 years ago), the whole project layout and navigation was closer to Emacs than Visual Studio. I'm not saying anything about its effectiveness, just that as a user interface it is drastically different.
!Null
!Null
Dude InteliJ . it's just like visual studio for java. it's crazy
/********************************************************************************\
/**********************He Who Dares, Wins**********************************\
/********************************************************************************\
Serapth
Serapth
Given the choice between syphilis and using Eclipse, I would be hard pressed for which I would choose.

There are only two major problems with NetBeans a) it's not as supported as Eclipse by 3rd parties b) it is run by a company that makes Satan look nice.

IntelliJ is certainly worth checking out as well. I am a big fan of their other IDEs ( I use IntelliJ for LUA coding and WebStorm for JavaScript development ), so my next Java project, I am certainly giving it a shot. The only real downside to the JetBrain stuff is, it's got that "made with Java ugly" thing pasted all over it. Something about cross platform Java UIs just screams ugly. Going from coding in Sublime Text to coding in IntelliJ is like trading in a Playboy model for an extra from Kitty Boo Boo.

Eclipse itself is a usability nightmare ( one of the worst, least thought out UIs I have ever seen ), fragile as hell ( it's the only IDE I have ever encountered that broke my code, repeatedly ) and vastly over complicated. I know there are people that swear by it, but me, I mostly just swear at it. I just know that any project I am going to be working with Eclipse, I need to allocate X amount of time troubleshooting Eclipse related problems, an experience I have literally never experienced since the original Visual Studio .NET.

Oddly enough though, you strip all the Java out of Eclipse and it becomes a much more pleasant experience. Appcelerator Titanium and Aptana Studio are both derived from Eclipse and much more pleasant to work with, although still needlessly complicated at times.
TheChubu
TheChubu
If you have a real beast of a machine Eclipse is pretty darn kickass for Java. (Its slow as .... on the average PC though which is by far its biggest flaw) (...) I wouldn't mind it being a bit less slow though.
Obligatory "Well, its coded in Java!" comment

I'm currently using Eclipse. Some of the things are a bit convoluted (right click, fill the screen with options) but I like it, the code completion, warnings and hints with direct links to Oracle Docs are very practical.
"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"   My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and 
alnite
alnite

Dude InteliJ . it's just like visual studio for java. it's crazy

Again, I'm voting for the underrated IntelliJ. I think it's even better than VS. It's refactoring tool, code reformatting, and intellisense are superior to Visual Studio.

Here's the link to the Free Community Edition: http://www.jetbrains...load/index.html
greggles
greggles

Thanks guys, but now another question.

What is the difference between Java SE/FX/EE/ME/...
I have to choose a version of Netbeans to download
What's the best one for game development?


SE = Standard Edition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Standard_Edition)
FX = Java FX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaFX)
EE = Enterprise Edition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_EE)
ME = Micro Edition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_ME)

I suggest the standard edition.
iXenocider
iXenocider
I have been using IntelliJ, it is a great IDE created by JetBrains. If you have ever used "ReSharper" for VS, this was created by the same people, oh, and it's free!

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.