Original Post
Since Windows Vista all drawing to the screen has been done using the WDM. To my knowledge this creates a texture/back buffer on the video card for each top level window, and then uses these textures for compositing the final image we see. I've scoured MSDN (in particular here: http://msdn.microsof...0(v=vs.85).aspx and http://msdn.microsof...0(v=vs.85).aspx) and google, but cannot find the answers to a few basic questions.
Is there any way I can get direct access to the texture/back buffer for a particular window? The documentation seems to imply Direct3D applications write directly to this texture, but there's no documentation about it, or any description on the details. What happens when a window is resized? How does it handle double buffering/swap chains? How do I enable per-pixel transparency (which it should be able to do in real-time without the Layered Windows mess)? How do Layered Windows integrate into this?
If I can get direct access to the texture, is there any way to render to it via OpenGL, or am I stuck with Direct3d?
I know are kinda esoteric questions, but any links, documents, or thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving/Columbus day
Is there any way I can get direct access to the texture/back buffer for a particular window? The documentation seems to imply Direct3D applications write directly to this texture, but there's no documentation about it, or any description on the details. What happens when a window is resized? How does it handle double buffering/swap chains? How do I enable per-pixel transparency (which it should be able to do in real-time without the Layered Windows mess)? How do Layered Windows integrate into this?
If I can get direct access to the texture, is there any way to render to it via OpenGL, or am I stuck with Direct3d?
I know are kinda esoteric questions, but any links, documents, or thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving/Columbus day