Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

XNA dynamic content

Started by David Stra Oct 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM 2 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
David Stra
David Stra
Hi guys.
I need help with dynamic content in my project.
I want to add objects into content while game is running, but i don't know how. Everything i've found need restart app, but i don't want :/
Know somebody how to solve this problem ?
David Stra
David Stra
That objects will be models, not Texture2D
Starnick
Starnick
There isn't an easy answer when it comes to XNA - as the content pipeline is more or less intended to be an "offline" process. Also, its much harder to distribute programs that use the content pipeline at runtime since the end-user needs the XNA game studio to be installed.

With that said, for PC XNA applications, there isn't anything stopping you from loading models at runtime. Its just a matter of processing the content yourself, without the content pipeline. E.g. loading a model and storing the geometric data into your own data structures (vertexbuffers/index buffers) that get rendered.

I believe in XNA 4.0 the only (major) roadblock will be for an effect, as there is no way to compile an effect at runtime without the content pipeline.
David Stra
David Stra
Ok, thank you I'll try to write somethin.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.