Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
šŸ”’ Locked

SSAO artifacts

Started by EternalNewbie Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM 1 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
EternalNewbie
EternalNewbie
Hi all

I'm trying to implement very basic ssao but get the following artifacts. I'm not using the normals and I'm using a simple filter with no noise here.
I've tried using a noise filter which helps remove them on the floor except when looking directly at them. However they seem to persist on the walls
and other objects.
Has anyone seen these sort of artifacts before? Any Idea how to get rid them?

[attachment=11715:SSAOArtefacts.jpg]
johnchapman
johnchapman
It looks to me as though your sample kernel's radius is quite small, such that it's causing some erroneous occlusion on the floor where the triangles intersect. Try increasing the sample kernel radius to see if that alleviates the problem.
EternalNewbie
EternalNewbie
Thanks tried changing the kernel size but this doesn't seem to make any difference.
Adding a minimum depth difference helps to remove the artifacts in some areas but as I move the camera it simply reappears at different depths.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.