Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

create a bridge on mesh

Started by alessio_pi_ Oct 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM 3 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
alessio_pi_
alessio_pi_
Hello,

I would like create a bridge on my triangular mesh.
Given two edge of one hole I would like create a bridge between them.
I have no idea how do it. This is an example get from one sw that have this feature.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107455303756077315255/albums/5799436635023575809


Thanks in advance.
HappyCoder
HappyCoder
Being that there are many solutions to your problem, you will need to add additional constraints before coming up with a solution. So elaborate more on what you actually need.

For example, how will you choose the two edges you want to connect? Will the space between them be clear?

With the bridge connecting them.
What resolution do you need the bridge to be?
Does the transition between the edge to the bridge have to be smooth or can the joint between the pieces be angular? Does the bridge need to be curved?
My current game project Platform RPG
alessio_pi_
alessio_pi_

Being that there are many solutions to your problem, you will need to add additional constraints before coming up with a solution. So elaborate more on what you actually need.

>For example, how will you choose the two edges you want to connect? Will the space between them be clear?
for the moment the user select two edge of the hole.

>What resolution do you need the bridge to be?
The important it's preserving the original model features, I think I should follow the curvature of the near of the hole.
Look my link there is a picture as the bridge should be.

>Does the transition between the edge to the bridge have to be smooth or can the joint between the pieces be angular? Does the bridge need to be curved?
yes bridge need to be curved.
transition between the edge and bridge should be smooth. But the bend that the bridge have, should be realistic and preserving the shape of the model. For example can't be a simple linear interpolation.... I think I should force the curvature of the bridge in some way but I again understand how...

apatriarca
apatriarca
rolleyes.gif Is the screenshot taken from MeshLab? It's an open-source software and you can thus probably see how the feature is implemented.
alessio_pi_
alessio_pi_

rolleyes.gif Is the screenshot taken from MeshLab? It's an open-source software and you can thus probably see how the feature is implemented.


yes the screenshot but the bridge is did with another sw and it's not opensource :|

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.