Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

alternative libraries for dx11 contexts

Started by Adam West Oct 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM 1 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
Adam West
Adam West
Hey there,

I was wondering if there are any other window libraries that are usable with directx 11. I know sdl is a viable option for DX9 but its a bit of hard work. I dont like the layout of the Win32 API that much.
Thanks.
Ripiz
Ripiz
WinAPI is probably the only one supported, since you have to give HWND when creating Swap Chain.

What's wrong with WinAPI? To use DirectX all you need is to create a window, that's like... 15 lines which you can copy/paste from countless sources.
MJP
MJP
Any window library that gives you the handle of the window should be usable for D3D11. You just obtain the handle, make a swap chain, and render to that swap chain's backbuffer. SDL should be usable, as should something more complex like qt.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.