Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Letting a class see another object's variables

Started by JDCAce Oct 21, 2012 at 3:47 AM 0 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
JDCAce
JDCAce
I have a functional pong game, and I'd like to add powerups (such as increase paddle size). I've created a Powerup class, and I'd like to let it handle all the powerup business. However, I'm not sure how to let my Powerup class see the variables of one of my Paddle class objects. That is, I'd like to use [font=courier new,courier,monospace]paddleLeft.height += paddleLeft.Height[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] in my Powerup class to double the size of the left paddle (but leave the right paddle alone). However, paddleLeft [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]is an instance of my Paddle class, and it's made in my Game1 class. Is there a way to let my Powerup class know I have a paddleLeft instance, and give my Powerup class access to its variables? I could add parameters to the Powerup constructor, but that doesn't seem efficient. Is there another way?[/font]
PhillipHamlyn
PhillipHamlyn
The powerup class either has to have a public list of Paddle objects, or needs to have access to a registry of Paddle objects, or the Paddle objects need to hook an event declared by the Powerup class such as "PowerIncreased" and take effective action based on the event call. In all cases the Paddle object lifecycle and the Powerup object lifecycle need to intersect such that at some point they are visible to each other, and you can either share references to each other or hook an event.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.