Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

BulletSharp slow with SlimDX10?

Started by Narf the Mouse Oct 27, 2012 at 4:58 AM 0 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
Narf the Mouse
Narf the Mouse
I downloaded the BulletSharp wrapper for BulletPhysics and have been playing with it. I've also run across a problem:

When running DX10 in a test program that doesn't use BulletSharp, it gets ~120 DrawIndexed calls per ms.
When running DX10 in a test program that uses BulletSharp, it gets ~32 DrawIndexed calls per ms.

They're not the same test program, but DX9 runs perfectly fine and much faster with BulletSharp in program #2. So, that's significant.

What could be causing this and how do I fix it? Thanks.

Edit1: I should also note that DX10 is faster in every other test case.

Edit2: Profiling pinpoints the slowdown as happening in the Device.DrawIndexed() and Effect.Apply() functions. Has anyone tested DX10 and BulletSharp/BulletPhysics?
AdeptStrain
AdeptStrain
Could be anything. Effects are deprecated in DX11 (for good reason), so you could try moving away from those and see if things improve (even though DX10 still gives you native support for them). The other solution is you continue profiling and look for other hotspots or find a way to reduce your draw calls.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.