Original Post
Some of us are making our own engines, some of us write popular blogs and make tutorials.
Some of us here even write books and give presentations at GDC/SIGGRAPH, or do private research and publish research papers.
One of the authors of SlimDX said he was not interested in adding support for it to SlimDX, and Valve is obviously going out of their way to make a point that they are not going to support it either. Minecraft won’t, and I am not decided on my own engine.
MJP has never even tried to use DirectX 11.1 yet.
How about you?
If you are a book author and see yourself having the chance to write a book about it, will you? Would you only do it if they approached you to do it or would you actually send a proposal to the publish of your own free will?
If your blog is mainly focused on tutorials, will you be putting any out for DirectX 11.1/Windows 8/Metro in the near future?
Do you plan to continue any private research you are doing on any new graphics techniques on said platform (if is so why)?
How many of you are starting to consider moving away from Windows in favor of Macintosh OS X or Linux?
Do you think Microsoft will be able to continue going this route or will they be forced to either downsize considerably or lift their ridiculous policies? Do you plan to push them into such a situation by, for example boycotting any of their products?
// ======= MY ANSWERS
As I said I am not decided about my engine. I can see some market value in being one of the few who support it, but I prefer to take a stand against them.
And this is the first time I have considered moving away from Windows, or at least never “upgrading”.
Windows XP and Windows 7 still work fine. If games stop coming out for them, I will see what platform is getting all the games. Linux? Valve’s own new game machine? That Ouhaoasdjh thing funded by Kickstarter?
In any case it is not going to be Windows 8/Metro, as guaranteed by their own policies on what they allow through their store, which specifically state, “No good games”.
I see Microsoft in the near future being just a shell of its former self.
Apple has been rising steadily in popularity thanks to iOS and other vendors are stepping up to fight in the console wars, while existing platforms may suddenly get a boost in popularity depending on how things go.
The upcoming generation of gaming will leave consumers with many more options than previously, so we are no longer bound to just Windows and consoles. With many gamers feeling smitten by Microsoft, I see a lot of people intentionally seeking options outside of Microsoft, and Microsoft will ultimately end up in trouble.
L. Spiro
Some of us here even write books and give presentations at GDC/SIGGRAPH, or do private research and publish research papers.
One of the authors of SlimDX said he was not interested in adding support for it to SlimDX, and Valve is obviously going out of their way to make a point that they are not going to support it either. Minecraft won’t, and I am not decided on my own engine.
MJP has never even tried to use DirectX 11.1 yet.
How about you?
If you are a book author and see yourself having the chance to write a book about it, will you? Would you only do it if they approached you to do it or would you actually send a proposal to the publish of your own free will?
If your blog is mainly focused on tutorials, will you be putting any out for DirectX 11.1/Windows 8/Metro in the near future?
Do you plan to continue any private research you are doing on any new graphics techniques on said platform (if is so why)?
How many of you are starting to consider moving away from Windows in favor of Macintosh OS X or Linux?
Do you think Microsoft will be able to continue going this route or will they be forced to either downsize considerably or lift their ridiculous policies? Do you plan to push them into such a situation by, for example boycotting any of their products?
// ======= MY ANSWERS
As I said I am not decided about my engine. I can see some market value in being one of the few who support it, but I prefer to take a stand against them.
And this is the first time I have considered moving away from Windows, or at least never “upgrading”.
Windows XP and Windows 7 still work fine. If games stop coming out for them, I will see what platform is getting all the games. Linux? Valve’s own new game machine? That Ouhaoasdjh thing funded by Kickstarter?
In any case it is not going to be Windows 8/Metro, as guaranteed by their own policies on what they allow through their store, which specifically state, “No good games”.
I see Microsoft in the near future being just a shell of its former self.
Apple has been rising steadily in popularity thanks to iOS and other vendors are stepping up to fight in the console wars, while existing platforms may suddenly get a boost in popularity depending on how things go.
The upcoming generation of gaming will leave consumers with many more options than previously, so we are no longer bound to just Windows and consoles. With many gamers feeling smitten by Microsoft, I see a lot of people intentionally seeking options outside of Microsoft, and Microsoft will ultimately end up in trouble.
L. Spiro