Original Post
I've recently been playing with the idea of making an RPG for a legacy system, specifically the Game Boy Advance, and I'm trying to learn how to draw up a decent tileset. I've found some good tutorials on the subject, so I grasp the basic concepts of pixel art, but I'm trying to refine my techniques. So far, I've got tiles for a couple of surfaces (rocky cliffs and grass):
[attachment=12071:tiles.png]
This is how they look when tiled:
[attachment=12072:test.png]
I'm mostly happy with the rocks, even though the grid is pretty obvious, but the grass is only mediocre.
If anyone has suggestions on ways to improve the tiles, I'd be quite happy to hear them.
If I end up actually doing this on the GBA, I'll need to limit myself to a 256-color palette and 16-bit color depth. Each tile will be 8x8, but I'm doing the initial drawing in 16x16 because that's closer to the size I'll make the characters.
[attachment=12071:tiles.png]
This is how they look when tiled:
[attachment=12072:test.png]
I'm mostly happy with the rocks, even though the grid is pretty obvious, but the grass is only mediocre.
If anyone has suggestions on ways to improve the tiles, I'd be quite happy to hear them.
If I end up actually doing this on the GBA, I'll need to limit myself to a 256-color palette and 16-bit color depth. Each tile will be 8x8, but I'm doing the initial drawing in 16x16 because that's closer to the size I'll make the characters.