Original Post
C++, DirectX11, MSVC
The basic idea is that I need to perform frustum culling on some random terrain. The best way I can figure is to cut the terrain up into 'chunks' with their own position in the vertex and index buffers and then only render out 'chunks' that are at least partially visible.
I figure using an OcTree sounds reasonable for this, as it could both split my terrain into chunks of no more than N polygons (then whatever triangles were inside a 'bottom level' node would be placed in a single 'chunk' and grouped into a vertex and index buffer) and allow for fast frustum culling agensed the nodes themselves.
The issue I'm having is that some triangles will straddle borders between the 'bottom level' nodes and hence be placed into more than one 'chunk'. Then, that triangle can potentialy be rendered more than once.
Would this cause 'flickering' due to z-fighting with itself or something similar? I figure it might not since it's fighting with a triangle that is exactly the same and so it dosent matter where each pixel gets picked from...
I figured I would ask because even if thats not a problem maybe there is a smarter way of doing all this!
Thanks guys.
The basic idea is that I need to perform frustum culling on some random terrain. The best way I can figure is to cut the terrain up into 'chunks' with their own position in the vertex and index buffers and then only render out 'chunks' that are at least partially visible.
I figure using an OcTree sounds reasonable for this, as it could both split my terrain into chunks of no more than N polygons (then whatever triangles were inside a 'bottom level' node would be placed in a single 'chunk' and grouped into a vertex and index buffer) and allow for fast frustum culling agensed the nodes themselves.
The issue I'm having is that some triangles will straddle borders between the 'bottom level' nodes and hence be placed into more than one 'chunk'. Then, that triangle can potentialy be rendered more than once.
Would this cause 'flickering' due to z-fighting with itself or something similar? I figure it might not since it's fighting with a triangle that is exactly the same and so it dosent matter where each pixel gets picked from...
I figured I would ask because even if thats not a problem maybe there is a smarter way of doing all this!
Thanks guys.