Original Post
If I have 2 computers connected to the same router/switch, is it possible to write an application that can be running on both so that they can discover each other with only knowing a port number?
I havent really done much socket programming, but from what Ive done you usually have the server listening for connections on some port and the client is able to connect to the server by knowing the ip of the server and the appropiate port to send the request to.
How can I set it up so that clients can still connect to the server, .. but without knowing the servers IP?
Would it be a case of just repeatedley sending requests to a range of address you know the server could be on? or is there a better way?
I havent really done much socket programming, but from what Ive done you usually have the server listening for connections on some port and the client is able to connect to the server by knowing the ip of the server and the appropiate port to send the request to.
How can I set it up so that clients can still connect to the server, .. but without knowing the servers IP?
Would it be a case of just repeatedley sending requests to a range of address you know the server could be on? or is there a better way?