Original Post
After learning the basics of the C Language, I don't quite know what to do with myself. I mean, I've been craving to start SOMETHING and I've already made myself a basic stat roller for Dungeons and Dragons and the basic programs assigned to me by my professor. But I don't know where to go from here. I've heard many stories that Learning C or C++ as your first language is not exactly the best thing to do since the learning curve can be very steep for some, but I've had no qualms with it. Maybe I'm an exception? Or maybe I don't quite understand it as well as I think. I'm not sure, but I've come to gamedev to ask you masters of the keyboard to guide me in the right direction.
I've been wanting to get into learning Java, I'm going to try and take a class for it next quarter (if I pass this quarter's intro to C [Damn my laziness]) and I'm not sure if that's where I want to go. I would love to take up programming professionally, I just am not sure what exacty I want to do with the knowledge I'm collecting. I know that C, so far, is very memory based and seemingly more intricate than the programming I had invisioned, but I find it extremely fun.
I would like to be able to use C and C++ in some way, shape, or form. I kind of invision myself to be one of those guys that makes game engines like the unreal engine or something. I always thought it would be cool to be the un-sung heroes of the gaming world, making some of the fastest, most powerful gaming tools on the market. But then again, I also want to be a rock star... so you can see my indecisiveness.
Anyway, i'm merely rambling as I always do.
My point is... Where do you guys think I should go next? Do you think that I could take another class of c and c++ and be able to find a programming job this way? Or do I need to learn a lot more languages before I can even consider turning in an application for even the lowest levels of the programming profession.
I've been wanting to get into learning Java, I'm going to try and take a class for it next quarter (if I pass this quarter's intro to C [Damn my laziness]) and I'm not sure if that's where I want to go. I would love to take up programming professionally, I just am not sure what exacty I want to do with the knowledge I'm collecting. I know that C, so far, is very memory based and seemingly more intricate than the programming I had invisioned, but I find it extremely fun.
I would like to be able to use C and C++ in some way, shape, or form. I kind of invision myself to be one of those guys that makes game engines like the unreal engine or something. I always thought it would be cool to be the un-sung heroes of the gaming world, making some of the fastest, most powerful gaming tools on the market. But then again, I also want to be a rock star... so you can see my indecisiveness.
Anyway, i'm merely rambling as I always do.
My point is... Where do you guys think I should go next? Do you think that I could take another class of c and c++ and be able to find a programming job this way? Or do I need to learn a lot more languages before I can even consider turning in an application for even the lowest levels of the programming profession.