Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Want to get started on using XML

Started by lride Nov 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM 2 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
lride
lride
I'd like to start learning XML for storing game data.
I've googled, but I couldn't find a good place to start.
Can someone lead me to a good tutorial on XML with C++?
An invisible text.
AdeptStrain
AdeptStrain
w3 has great tutorials on XML in general, but yea, TinyXML is probably the most used C++ XML parser and is fairly simple to use.

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/

I would also highly suggest learning XPath. It's a way to easily query and navigate XML. If you ever write any tools that create/consume XML, XPath is a life saver. If you use C# for your tools the System.Xml library has really solid XML/XPath support(you may need .NET 4.0 for XPath 2.0 support, but whatever).

http://www.w3schools...ath/default.asp
BeerNutts
BeerNutts
Hi IRide,

I've been using Tinyxml in my games for a bit. You can look at my code (link found here, also available from my Old blog linked in my Sig), specifically the GameSound files, and the Utilities files, I use tinyxml to load the sounds (from the xml file SmashPcSounds.xml) and to load the player configuration (from SmashPcCfg.xml).

Good luck and have fun!
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.