Original Post
I been programming since mid 80's, so the following can be shown to me in just about any language, and I'll be able to convert it.
Here is my dilema:
I am very nostalgic and many games that are written in "ascii" are still around today, and still very popular (L.O.R.D. for example, and the recent 2006 hit Dwarf fortress). So that should scale this to easy. I thought.
I spend many weeks looking up ways to make (what i thought) a simple, flat 2D terrain generator that I can use in a ascii game. And found all kinds of complex and really obscene algorithms and formulas that are not unlike driving a viper to to pick up your paper at the end of the drive.
So I gathered as much old-school skill I had and tried tons of variations of randomness to get a "grouping" style terrain, instead of the usual "paint-splatter" style. I tried the usual x,y method, perlin types but they were not laying out like I wanted (I even tried sin() math and that was pretty close, but too predictable, obviously) - they were more designed for 3D and in depth style graphic games.
The 2D I want is a TOP down (think of "droidcraft", "Don't starve" etc.. - those are the best i can think of off the top of my head). I only need like 6-10 tile types, and I can probably work out underground caves.
Any one else have an idea how to generate a fairly "logical" way of doing this, such as trees in a group, then maybe spread to some tall grass to plains, then maybe hills that turn into mountains etc...
here is an example of one run
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/randomexample.jpg/
this is NOT what i want, its too random and not logical.
Thanks for any ideas, I'll test them all :-) (or at least try)
ps
Yes I love Pascal!, but then I like basic too
Here is my dilema:
I am very nostalgic and many games that are written in "ascii" are still around today, and still very popular (L.O.R.D. for example, and the recent 2006 hit Dwarf fortress). So that should scale this to easy. I thought.
I spend many weeks looking up ways to make (what i thought) a simple, flat 2D terrain generator that I can use in a ascii game. And found all kinds of complex and really obscene algorithms and formulas that are not unlike driving a viper to to pick up your paper at the end of the drive.
So I gathered as much old-school skill I had and tried tons of variations of randomness to get a "grouping" style terrain, instead of the usual "paint-splatter" style. I tried the usual x,y method, perlin types but they were not laying out like I wanted (I even tried sin() math and that was pretty close, but too predictable, obviously) - they were more designed for 3D and in depth style graphic games.
The 2D I want is a TOP down (think of "droidcraft", "Don't starve" etc.. - those are the best i can think of off the top of my head). I only need like 6-10 tile types, and I can probably work out underground caves.
Any one else have an idea how to generate a fairly "logical" way of doing this, such as trees in a group, then maybe spread to some tall grass to plains, then maybe hills that turn into mountains etc...
here is an example of one run
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/randomexample.jpg/
this is NOT what i want, its too random and not logical.
Thanks for any ideas, I'll test them all :-) (or at least try)
ps
Yes I love Pascal!, but then I like basic too
[/font]