Original Post
I don't know if this needs to be specific to MMORPG's but that's what I've got in mind when I talk about this at least.
progress systems such as skills based or level up, talent points etc..
What do you think would be the best?
First I want to talk about classes.
In Ultima Online for example the game was skill based instead of class based..
but you still could choose a class when creating char.. warrior, mage etc.. or do custom.
It didn't make you into that class though it just chose what skills you start with.
But even though the game was skill based.. we always called eachother names such as if we had a bunch of different classes.
Like mage, dexer, axer, nox mage, thief etc
So that can be the first thing you can choose to think about..
Maybe it's better to have games skillbased instead of class based.. because it stillis kindof class based even though its skill based but it opens up for a loooot more customization and classes that might not exist otherwise.
Now will do game be skillbased or levelup based?
I mean even though you could kinda do both for example that when you level up you receive points that you can place in skills.
You could do so from fighting you only get combat points to place in combat skills.. so you cant kill monsters to become a better tailor for example.
Or do you want it to be so you only improve the skill that you are using?
It works great for spells like magic and melee but I guess it works ok for other skills too it just makes the game really all about afk macroing then.
standing still afk macro hiding for example..
You could place skills in different groups somewhat what I mentioned just before..
So you have a combat group of skills that have a max cap of for example 300 skill points and each skill in that combat category has max cap of 100 each so you you can only max for example 3 skills out of the 7 that were available.. or bring 6 skills to 50skillpoints each. etc.
You could also use talent points like WoW did..
I mean you can really do a lot of creative things i havent even mentoined.
So lets all brainstorm and be creative together and talk about what IN YOUR OPINION is the best and why.
progress systems such as skills based or level up, talent points etc..
What do you think would be the best?
First I want to talk about classes.
In Ultima Online for example the game was skill based instead of class based..
but you still could choose a class when creating char.. warrior, mage etc.. or do custom.
It didn't make you into that class though it just chose what skills you start with.
But even though the game was skill based.. we always called eachother names such as if we had a bunch of different classes.
Like mage, dexer, axer, nox mage, thief etc
So that can be the first thing you can choose to think about..
Maybe it's better to have games skillbased instead of class based.. because it stillis kindof class based even though its skill based but it opens up for a loooot more customization and classes that might not exist otherwise.
Now will do game be skillbased or levelup based?
I mean even though you could kinda do both for example that when you level up you receive points that you can place in skills.
You could do so from fighting you only get combat points to place in combat skills.. so you cant kill monsters to become a better tailor for example.
Or do you want it to be so you only improve the skill that you are using?
It works great for spells like magic and melee but I guess it works ok for other skills too it just makes the game really all about afk macroing then.
standing still afk macro hiding for example..
You could place skills in different groups somewhat what I mentioned just before..
So you have a combat group of skills that have a max cap of for example 300 skill points and each skill in that combat category has max cap of 100 each so you you can only max for example 3 skills out of the 7 that were available.. or bring 6 skills to 50skillpoints each. etc.
You could also use talent points like WoW did..
I mean you can really do a lot of creative things i havent even mentoined.
So lets all brainstorm and be creative together and talk about what IN YOUR OPINION is the best and why.