Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Global Game Jam

Started by Surgura Nov 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM 1 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
Surgura
Surgura
Hey all,

I have some experience in game programming, because it is my hobby and I study game technology, but I thought it would be interesting to join the Global Game Jam. I wondered if some of you could share your experiences with this kind of events, and if you recomment it.
I also wondered if anyone has joined one in the Netherlands, and how popular these jams are overhere.

Aart
kuramayoko10
kuramayoko10
I've participated in this year's Global Game Jam.
It was pretty cool and I recommend it.

The coolest part is the crazy brainstorms of the teams and the Game Design discussions that rise.
On the programming side you end up doing lots of hacks and clutter code just to make it work at the moment.
It was good for the networking and for the experience you get on dealing with different people you have never met before. You learn a lot on how to cooperate with other people in a short period of time.

I am going to join GGJ 2013 as well. I am not on Netherlands though =/

EDIT: The key to finish your minigame in time without much stress is to use a simple game engine that your team is comfortable with.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
Surgura
Surgura
Alright, seems like it's pretty cool. I'd like to meet people who like this stuff as much as I do.
Finding that one programming language/engine your whole team knows could be pretty hard I guess, but I'll see what will happen.
Thanks for the info.

Aart

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.