Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Create a 2.5D dungeon

Started by Ng Kar Wye Dec 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM 3 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
Ng Kar Wye
Ng Kar Wye
Hi,
I would like to know what is needed to create a 2.5D dungeon.
example: http://tinyurl.com/cxve9rx

What is needed to get this effect?

Artwork, Animation, and some Programming, or a game engine?

Would really appreciate some details.
Ng Kar Wye
Ng Kar Wye
Thanks Jo.

So it boils down to me deciding whether I should create it on 3D or 2D.

I have some programming background (C++ and java) still consider myself beginner in programming.
And I downloaded iOS Xcode to start development.

I am wondering what tools should I look into to create a dungeon map.
Where to download these programs, etc.
Ng Kar Wye
Ng Kar Wye
I did some research and here are some of the few 3d Engines that I consider downloading.
SIO2, Unity3d, ShiVa 3d.

Can anyone advise me which of these 3 are beginner friendly?
I tried Unity 3d and went through their beginner tutorials and videos, and I felt that maybe there are other engines that are easier to pick-up.

My plan of using this 3d engine is to create an app that can create dungeon based on the user's input.
eg: if I want a 10 tile dungeon, the app will create a 10 tile dungeon.
Jo D.
Jo D.
If you're targeting mobile platform i would suggest just pick emulator and start write some code.
By writing from scratch you get best optimization. Personally i suggest to write your own code . Should not be so hard.

Good luck.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.