Original Post
So, I've been making some revisions to a project I've been toying with, and in particular, the changes I've made to the art style suggest to me that I might want to move to a real 2D game engine, whereas previously I was using UDK with 2D gameplay.
I was about to start using Torque Game Builder, but then I thought that I should look around a bit. There's more out there and perhaps I can find something better suited for my needs or style. It's not that I have any problems with TGB, but I just haven't looked at much else.
So I did a google search, but basically everything I found were engines targeted at prototyping a game, which suggests to me that the engine might not be the best option for creating a full-fledged adventure.
So I thought I'd come back here and ask from some folks for some good suggestions.
I'm looking to create an action-RPG, so I'd need an engine with the tools to create whole levels the player can explore, a variety of objects to interact with, etc. So, not just some simple one-screen thing that looks like an iPhone game. I'd like something with a fairly supportive community so I actually have a source I could turn to if I need help with something.
Like I've said, TGB already does everything I think I'll need, I'm just wondering what other options are out there.
I was about to start using Torque Game Builder, but then I thought that I should look around a bit. There's more out there and perhaps I can find something better suited for my needs or style. It's not that I have any problems with TGB, but I just haven't looked at much else.
So I did a google search, but basically everything I found were engines targeted at prototyping a game, which suggests to me that the engine might not be the best option for creating a full-fledged adventure.
So I thought I'd come back here and ask from some folks for some good suggestions.
I'm looking to create an action-RPG, so I'd need an engine with the tools to create whole levels the player can explore, a variety of objects to interact with, etc. So, not just some simple one-screen thing that looks like an iPhone game. I'd like something with a fairly supportive community so I actually have a source I could turn to if I need help with something.
Like I've said, TGB already does everything I think I'll need, I'm just wondering what other options are out there.