Original Post
Coming from a C/C++ perspective, Go looks like a really nice language. I would really like to try it out. I'm curious though if anyone has considered it for game development?
Other than a lack of library support (which will improve over time), my main concern with the language is how it handles memory management. It has a GC, and appears to have a lot of dynamic data types. I can only assume that this means it will be doing memory allocation at runtime. At least, that's what a C/C++ program would be doing. It is possible that Go is structured differently internally to allow seeming-dynamic features within a fixed memory allocation. But I don't know, and so hesitate to try it in performance-critical code, like games.
Does anyone have any insight into how Go handles memory management? Has anyone experimented with Go in performance-critical code and have feedback on how it performed?
Other than a lack of library support (which will improve over time), my main concern with the language is how it handles memory management. It has a GC, and appears to have a lot of dynamic data types. I can only assume that this means it will be doing memory allocation at runtime. At least, that's what a C/C++ program would be doing. It is possible that Go is structured differently internally to allow seeming-dynamic features within a fixed memory allocation. But I don't know, and so hesitate to try it in performance-critical code, like games.
Does anyone have any insight into how Go handles memory management? Has anyone experimented with Go in performance-critical code and have feedback on how it performed?