Original Post
Hello all.
In preparation for a game I'm making that has quite a large dialogue/visual novel portion to it, I've decided that I needed a way for non-programmers(writers, artist and authors) to manipulate screen elements and create scenes and dialogue without having to learn a high-level coding language like C++ or Java. This has led me to begin designing a scripting language to fit the needs of those authors and writers.
However, roaming around on the internet, I've heard of XML and how it is said to shorten the time spent making text parsers and custom scripting languages.I am interested in adapting XML for my project, but there is an important question that I have: Since my goal is to allow a non-programmer with no prior knowledge of programming or scripting languages to write his or her dialogue and scenes in a text file, would XML be too complicated or difficult for them to work with? How complicated would the syntax the author has to learn be?
If anyone with experience with using XML in C++ could answer these, it would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.
In preparation for a game I'm making that has quite a large dialogue/visual novel portion to it, I've decided that I needed a way for non-programmers(writers, artist and authors) to manipulate screen elements and create scenes and dialogue without having to learn a high-level coding language like C++ or Java. This has led me to begin designing a scripting language to fit the needs of those authors and writers.
However, roaming around on the internet, I've heard of XML and how it is said to shorten the time spent making text parsers and custom scripting languages.I am interested in adapting XML for my project, but there is an important question that I have: Since my goal is to allow a non-programmer with no prior knowledge of programming or scripting languages to write his or her dialogue and scenes in a text file, would XML be too complicated or difficult for them to work with? How complicated would the syntax the author has to learn be?
If anyone with experience with using XML in C++ could answer these, it would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.