Original Post
[Removed]
[Removed]
But isn't that a bit unrealistic? I'm worried I might be biting off more than I can chew. Most of the interesting companies I'd like to work for, that are in Robotics or working with NASA on something, seem impossibly out of reach. I'm not going to Carnegie Mellon, or MIT like the other thouands of people applying to them every day.[/quote]
Well, yeah, it's true that you are on average disadvantaged against MIT students and that's a fact of life, but that doesn't mean it's hopeless. You should start building some sort of portfolio of personal projects (related to robotics or relevant programming, of course) if you haven't already because when you start in the field you'll have zero work experience and showing your motivation and drive could make the difference between getting hired and, well, not. You can make up for not going to a prestige college...
In any case, I suggest always having some sort of backup plan, because getting stuck in the wheels of bureaucracy sucks.
Reading over my post again, this all feels like very generic advice.. sorry.
If you like computer science, do lots of it on your own time.
Most of the interesting companies I'd like to work for, that are in Robotics or working with NASA on something, seem impossibly out of reach. I'm not going to Carnegie Mellon, or MIT like the other thouands of people applying to them every day.
I'm sorta going through the same thing. Most of the CS classes at my university aren't so much badly taught as they are just irrelevant. While I'm sure I could learn a lot from understanding FORTRAN, I don't exactly want to spend my time learning it since I probably will never use it. Which is why I'm not getting a CS degree, I'm actually going for a double major with aerospace engineering and physics. I've already worked on a group project where we designed an autopilot program for a little rc airplane, so it's not like I'm not learning useful programming skills by not taking those CS classes. My aunt is a senior developer at her job, she's one of those old school hackers that can do almost anything with a computer, but her degree is in biology! That said, I'm sure having a CS degree will open more doors than a degree in biology unless you can prove that you have the skills.
While I'm sure I could learn a lot from understanding FORTRAN, I don't exactly want to spend my time learning it since I probably will never use it.
If my school offered an Aerospace and Engineering major, I'd have dropped CS without a slight hesitation. I guess it depends what you want to do, but you might be better off just choosing one major in the long run. Those are two intensive fields of study
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more