Original Post
.. I have no experience but I'm just putting already existing stuff together?
I'm wanting to make my own game but I actually don't have any experience at all (this probably sounds familiar to you).
However, in my case, my plan was that I'd only use stuff that already exists. Say I need a city, and some highways, and some vehicles: You can find all of it online. I'd like to start with the map, and I do have some 3D skills (studied architecture so we had to design houses and stuff).
Basically I'd like to just take stuff and put it all together. I don't plan on selling this, it's just for fun.
I have checked out Unity and I was hoping to put everything together in there. It's meant to be a driving game by the way.
So… am I dreaming? I don't know any language (well except web languages but they won't be of any help) and I surely won't give up my social life to learn another language now. I don't want this as a job anyway and I'm not interesting in the gaming industry. This is really just for pure fun (maybe that's the problem).
I was thinking maybe a team or something would be more ideal. I don't want to start this and then years later find out I'm not even near to my goal and having wasted all that time on it. Would be a shame!
Tell me your thoughts people
Greets
Edit // I know that it's hard to make a game, but let me rephrase this whole post. I know that it's difficult if you want something unique, that means if you're doing everything yourself from scratch. Say if you design the buildings and cars and streets all yourself. Nobody else will have the same house, the same bridge or whatever else in their game. Only you. But how hard is it these days to make a game with already existing stuff? Just if you'd mash up everything together? Also I forgot to mention, it's meant to be 3D. I always forget those flash games etc., but they're games too after all.
I'm wanting to make my own game but I actually don't have any experience at all (this probably sounds familiar to you).
However, in my case, my plan was that I'd only use stuff that already exists. Say I need a city, and some highways, and some vehicles: You can find all of it online. I'd like to start with the map, and I do have some 3D skills (studied architecture so we had to design houses and stuff).
Basically I'd like to just take stuff and put it all together. I don't plan on selling this, it's just for fun.
I have checked out Unity and I was hoping to put everything together in there. It's meant to be a driving game by the way.
So… am I dreaming? I don't know any language (well except web languages but they won't be of any help) and I surely won't give up my social life to learn another language now. I don't want this as a job anyway and I'm not interesting in the gaming industry. This is really just for pure fun (maybe that's the problem).
I was thinking maybe a team or something would be more ideal. I don't want to start this and then years later find out I'm not even near to my goal and having wasted all that time on it. Would be a shame!
Tell me your thoughts people
Greets
Edit // I know that it's hard to make a game, but let me rephrase this whole post. I know that it's difficult if you want something unique, that means if you're doing everything yourself from scratch. Say if you design the buildings and cars and streets all yourself. Nobody else will have the same house, the same bridge or whatever else in their game. Only you. But how hard is it these days to make a game with already existing stuff? Just if you'd mash up everything together? Also I forgot to mention, it's meant to be 3D. I always forget those flash games etc., but they're games too after all.