Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Software Renderer, silhouette refinement

Started by DDoS Dec 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM 1 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
DDoS
DDoS
hi, i'm working on an exercise for university and we are implementing a software renderer in java.
they want us to implement some cool stuff we want, and to play around with it

i thought about implementing silhouette refinement (just because i think it's interresting),
saw this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nMwk2Zi0c3o#t=39s

how would you implement this method? i googled around and found this:
using some kind of adaptive tessaltion on the silhouette tris/edges

thought about implementing an own rasterizer and use polynomial curves instead of straight lines on the outer edges, could this work ^^?

pls throw in your ideas, and give me stuff to melt my brain

with kind regards, DDoS
GeniusPooh
GeniusPooh
Oh

nice work for you...

I think you don't need curved surface it's too complicate...

I think what you need is..

1, find edge vertex and triangle ( Is this easy? isn't it?)

2. teselate it..

teselating it is so easy what you just need is triangle is softedge or not. but you can just do every triangle as soft one.

teselation so easy you can flow vertex's normal and you can put new vertex on normal curve.( this curve is just arbitary one but you can emagine it ? isn't it?)

I think that's all you need smile.png

happy work I envy your work and times..
Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones   World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.   and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea   www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)
GeniusPooh
GeniusPooh
Ah I forgot something

you can use catmull rom(??) cubic function can be use interpolation.. or bezier..

If any help for it plz let me know
Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones   World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.   and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea   www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.