Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

An MMORPG as a Javascript/programming teaching tool

Started by JoshNet83 Dec 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM 0 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
JoshNet83
JoshNet83
I've been developing an MMORPG to use as a teaching tool for Javascript, HTML, and other programming concepts. It's received a huge amount of attention lately in various programming communities. I think the GameDev programming community will be especially interested to learn about it. The game is called Topia Online, and the game engine is designed to give player's full scripting capabilities and a marketplace to share their creations.

Here is a screenshot of the marketplace:
http://i.imgur.com/Uawcq.png

All creatures in the game are coded by players, limited only by their creativity and the limitations imposed based on their characters skills and resources. Scripts execute within the context of your character, so you need the appropriate abilities and reagents to invoke scripts. Players can also create their own interfaces. I am currently working on a sandbox which teaches Javascript in an interactive way.

Here's a game screenshot:
http://www.topiaonline.com/content/images/topia.png

Our Kickstarter is trending slowly, and we're having a hard time explaining to non-programmers how they can enjoy the game. We're reaching out to a lot of IT / 'technical' communities to help us get a following. I'm not trying to advertise the Kickstarter, so I won't link it here, but I would definitely like to spark some discussion about 'programming in online games'. I also think this game will be the birth-place of very complicated automated ecosystems and society.
jbadams
jbadams
Please don't cross-post.
- Jason Astle-Adams

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.