Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Can Anyone Suggest A Good FPS Program?

Started by wj97wolfe@aim.com Dec 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM 3 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
wj97wolfe@aim.com
wj97wolfe@aim.com

I am currently in the early design stages of a first person survival horror game called St. Abraham. I haven't started programming yet because I haven't been able to find a program that suits me. I don't have much programming knowledge (my dad does), and I only have 40-50 dollars to spend if necessary.

The program I'm currently looking at is FPS Creator, but it seems awfully limited in terms of entities and environments. Can anyone suggest to me a good program for making first person shooters?

Aeramor
Aeramor

Use UDK. It's by far the easiest way to get a good looking, high quality FPS in minimal time. Great community at the UDK boards as well.

udk.com

-Aeramor CTO at Conjecture, Inc.
AdrianC
AdrianC

I usually suggest Unity for game engine, but in this case, you're probably better off with UDK. I believe its free to use for educational purposes, and then $100 to get a commercial license when you want to release your game.

superman3275
superman3275

If your dad can program, it's still not Universal.

Programming isn't Universal, and changing API's (And in this case, completely learning Three-Dimensional game Programming) isn't easy, and unless you expect your Dad to sit down with the UDK specification and read through it (That's what you have to do with Unity also, I would know :)). I suggest you try learning a language. You could just get your feet wet, understand at least a little bit what programmers go through.

Also, don't try to recruit anyone. The UDK (And Unity) forums don't need another teenager (I have nothing against them, however they're generally new to development, as you are) who has no idea about the work it takes to put out even a 2D game trying to recruit people for his new Zombie-FPS-RPG-MMO.

Start small. You're first game won't be a Zombie MMO (When I first started Game Development, I did the same thing as you are, with Zombies and everything :)). Learn how UDK works. Start 3D Modeling. Look at C# / Java. Maybe dabble in Web Development. Learn. There's a wealth of information, so get started. Cheers :)!

wj97wolfe@aim.com
wj97wolfe@aim.com
If your dad can program, it's still not Universal.

Programming isn't Universal, and changing API's (And in this case, completely learning Three-Dimensional game Programming) isn't easy, and unless you expect your Dad to sit down with the UDK specification and read through it (That's what you have to do with Unity also, I would know smile.png). I suggest you try learning a language. You could just get your feet wet, understand at least a little bit what programmers go through.

Also, don't try to recruit anyone. The UDK (And Unity) forums don't need another teenager (I have nothing against them, however they're generally new to development, as you are) who has no idea about the work it takes to put out even a 2D game trying to recruit people for his new Zombie-FPS-RPG-MMO.

Start small. You're first game won't be a Zombie MMO (When I first started Game Development, I did the same thing as you are, with Zombies and everything smile.png). Learn how UDK works. Start 3D Modeling. Look at C# / Java. Maybe dabble in Web Development. Learn. There's a wealth of information, so get started. Cheers smile.png!

Thanks. But I will say that my game is definitely not a Zombie MMO. It's a FPS taking place in a mental hospital.

But thanks anyway!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.