Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What do I need to know in order to create C# 3d web game?

Started by IamBrain Jan 1, 2013 at 3:45 AM 6 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
IamBrain
IamBrain

Hello everyone! I have just learned the basics of C# (classes, structs, inheritance, looping, branching, delegates, enumerations, polymorphism etc.) I want to learn how to create a 3d web browser game using C#, but i'm a little confused as to where to start. For example, I've done some searching online for which game engines or framework I would need to accomplish this, but only to find out that mathematics and physics would be needed in order to understand vectors, collision detection and so on...

My question to you guys is, what would be the proper road to take in reaching this goal of creating a 3d web browser multiplayer game.

An example could be;

Learn linear algebra > physics > SilverLight > Xna .

Please just explain to me a little on why the course you choose would be the best for me.

EduardoMoura
EduardoMoura
If you are asking about linera algebra and stuff like that. I recomend you to start and create a simple game with what you know, start with 2D, then go to avanced 2D, simple 3D, advanced 3D, then add networking.


You are simply qualified to make a 3D online game yet. This may sound harsh, but don't expect to be like writting a console app that adds 2 plus 2.
You can't simply write a 3D as your first real world application, even more a 3D game. I have been coding in C# for a long time, really I mean a Long time, and before that RUBY ,Python c++, and one thing I can say for sure, I am not sure If i would be able to write a decent well coded 3D online game. With this I mean a game that is worth playing by others. I could write one but it wouldnt probably be good enough to publish. Start Simple. Best Advice I can give you.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but you can't expect to create a good game without basics, and for your post its something you are lacking.

EDIT 2: You could Unity3D, its C# scriptable but still my advice is the same, start with the basics :)
Check out my new blog: Morphexe 
AdrianC
AdrianC

Check out Unity, does exactly what you're looking for.

IamBrain
IamBrain
Check out Unity, does exactly what you're looking for.

What would I need to know before learning unity though?

EduardoMoura
EduardoMoura

You would need to know game basics, C# decently. and to make a 3D multiplayer game you would need to know networking structures and have a very well defined set of features to the game.

Check out my new blog: Morphexe 
IamBrain
IamBrain

Thanks Morphex!

EduardoMoura
EduardoMoura

My advice is to check some unity tutorials, there are loads on their site, but first feel more confortable with C#, you can't go wrong with simple things :)

Check out my new blog: Morphexe 
6677
6677

silverlight is a long dead and unsupported framework btw. Also the only way to run C# in browser other than either using the Unity Web Player plugin or using chromes native client which requires more than C# knowledge (need a little experience with C/C++ in order to alter and compile to mono runtime for NaCl correctly)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.