Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Hexagonal tile highlighting/picking

Started by wraith811 Jan 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM 1 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
wraith811
wraith811

I've been trying to learn how to highlight a hexagon when the cursor is over a hexagonal tile. I've read several articles that explain it using a "mouse map" texture image that helps to determine if the cursor/mouse is within a hexagon on a tile map. However, I can't seem to get it to work. I originally tried using the tutorial from Kurt Jaeger's xna resources but its mainly for isometric tiles. I then found an explaination on gamedev.net but my puny brain can't seem to comprehend it. If someone could help explain this concept of using a "mouse map" or maybe an easier method would be great. Unfortunately, it won't let me upload my solution. If you need to see my project, let me know a way of posting it. Thanks.

I forgot to mention, this is in XNA 4.0

wraith811
wraith811

Tom KQT,

Thank you for your help. Yes, it is 2D. I'll take a look at the article. My only concern is that my hexagons are 2d texture images so the math may not work quite as well as with a 2d primitive using math to display it. The other flip side is that I'm inexperienced at applying some of the math concepts to xna. If all else fails, I may just use a simple circle or rectangle check and leave it at that.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.