Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Application Name and Icon Help

Started by ProvenDantheman Feb 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM 8 replies 2k views
Original Post
ProvenDantheman
ProvenDantheman

I'm using:
C++

Code::Blocks

glut

OpenGL

Linux

On the top of the screen, you have a title, and an icon. My icon is blank and the title is unknown. Any ideas on how to fix this?

View the attachment.

BitMaster
BitMaster
There might be some way to solve this hidden in the depths of GLUT (or its newer and still maintained implementation freeglut), but mostly GLUT is just a quick and dirty way to get an OpenGL window quickly with the minimum amount of fuzz. It's not intended to offer access to the more detailed OS infrastructure. If you want something like that, consider SFML, GLFW or similar libraries.
Dragonsoulj
Dragonsoulj

Sounds like setting it with GLUT is just setting the window title, not the application title. Is there a way to set an application title? Been a long time since I used GLUT.

ProvenDantheman
ProvenDantheman

Sounds like setting it with GLUT is just setting the window title, not the application title. Is there a way to set an application title? Been a long time since I used GLUT.

I'm not sure, I'll try to look into it more.

BitMaster
BitMaster
The most likely scenario is: there is no solution with GLUT. As I said, GLUT is a quick and dirty way to whip up a window. It's great for a quick test or a demo. It's not intended for anything resembling a full-fledged application.
ProvenDantheman
ProvenDantheman

I created an application in code::blocks using a template, and it yielded the same results.

ProvenDantheman
ProvenDantheman

I sort of figured out the issue. I ran the application with an Ubuntu session, as opposed to a Gnome3 session. In Ubuntu, the title displays fine. In Gnome, it does not.

I've created .desktop files in Gnome, using the specifications required, but that yielded me with no results. I ended up having a nice looking launcher for the app, but the title displayed incorrectly.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.