So the specific context here involves SFML2 and sf::RenderTexture, but I think there is some generality here.
So I have a tile map and up until now I've been sending invidual draw commands for each and every tile. I've read here and other places that this is generally considered bad form and that you're much better off putting together everything on your screen to be drawn and then sending one draw command. That makes sense and I understand the reasoning behind it just fine.
My question is, can I assume that if I'm not actually drawing to the screen that I'm not actually rendering anything? Or is this completely false?
Consider this:
sf::Sprite tile1;
sf::Sprite tile2;
sf::RenderTexture builder;
sf::RenderWindow screen;
builder.Draw(tile1);
builder.Draw(tile2);
screen.Draw(builder);
I know that code is incomplete, I just wanted to get my point across.
So in this case, am I "rendering" 1 time? or 3 times? Am I accomplishing my goal of only drawing to the screen once? Or not?
The additional question is, if I'm not, how would I do it instead?
thanks for the help!