Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is flash good choice to make game in?

Started by DFDark Feb 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM 8 replies 3.4k views
Original Post
DFDark
DFDark

Few months ago, I decided to try flash out because it would not seem as bad idea. I went through a couple of tutorials and I must say that I've been quite impressed by how much is ActionScript 3 user friendly. Following that, Me and my friend decided to do an online game in flash.

But then I have started to read various articles about how flash is dead, recommending transition to html 5 instead. I dislike the idea of making game in javascript but if flash is indeed going down then I won't have much of a choice.

What is your opinion? Is it still good idea to make flash game?

Nercury
Nercury

Yes.

It will be more reliable for your users than javascript, it is almost browser independent, animations will be smooth on all browsers if computer is fast enough.

My opinion.

justkevin
justkevin

If you've already gotten some headway with Flash, keep going until you've released a game or two. People who play web games will still have Flash installed on their desktop (assuming it doesn't take you years and years to develop your game).

Re-evaluate in a couple years and you may decide to switch to HTML5, Unity or something else.

Flimflam
Flimflam

Flash isn't dead or even really dying. We've been hearing about the death of Flash for a long, long time now. The argument can be made that Flash on mobile platforms is pretty dismal these days (and as a result in decline when you consider the internet as a whole, mobile devices and all), but on actual computers, not so much.

So sure, you can stick with Flash. Flash still has one of the largest install bases around, and it's going to be a long time before HTML5 can properly compete with Flash in all the areas Flash excels at, especially with the varying support between browsers for individual features.

DFDark
DFDark

Thanks for all answers.

I really needed to sort my thoughts on this. :)

cr88192
cr88192

I think overlooked sometimes is the languages themselves:

though both based on the same core (ECMAScript), JS and AS3 diverge a fair amount in terms of language features, and AS3 has a little more going for it to make it more suitable for "general programming stuff" (like classes and packages and similar), and also requires less processing on the client-end to load up code (AS3 comes already compiled, and JS is usually compiled when loaded), ...

at this point, a lot of this makes JS a little weak vs Flash.

Icarius_24
Icarius_24

Whazzup! smile.png

I'm new to game development and I would like to give Flash a try too. However, I cannot afford the legal version of Flash professional of Adobe so I was thinking of learning Action Script instead and use an external library (eg. flixel, flashpunk) without using Flash professional. My question is this: where can I find resources for learning Action Script 3 (without having to use Flash)? I know some of you are gonna suggest Mr. Google. But I already tried that and most of what I find either requires Flash or not very helpful. Again, I'm looking for the BEST tutorial/ebook/anything for learning ACTION SCRIPT 3 w/o using ADOBE FLASH. Thanks in advance! :)

PS: sorry for the wrong grammar and bad writing (I'm not used to doing this)

Zeta Games <-- visit my blog Super Smiley Adventure <-- my first game (download) Blu <-- my upcoming platform game (download WIP</a
DFDark
DFDark

It's little offtopic, but

For development, You can use FlashDevelop(http://www.flashdevelop.org/). it's free and performs extremely well.

One good tutorial is this one for example: http://chrismweb.com/2011/01/26/creating-an-asteroids-game-part-1-setting-up-flashdevelop-and-planning/

I would also recommend reading through adobe's documentation http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/documentation.html

Icarius_24
Icarius_24

Thanks! Sorry for the silly and offtopic question! I just wasn't sure where to post it. Anyway, the best of luck to all of us! :)

Zeta Games <-- visit my blog Super Smiley Adventure <-- my first game (download) Blu <-- my upcoming platform game (download WIP</a
thienhafash
thienhafash

If you are still new and finding the way out, I recommend you to check out HaxeNME which is a much better framework with multiple platforms.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.