Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

IDirectSoundCaptureBuffer8::Start Makes Everything Quiet

Started by Capoeirista Mar 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM 1 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
Capoeirista
Capoeirista

Hi there,

I'm using DirectSound to read in data from the default microphone and hand it off to Wwise (AudioKinetic's sound engine).


HRESULT result = DirectSoundCaptureCreate8(&DSDEVID_DefaultVoiceCapture, &myDirectSoundCapture, NULL);

...

// Generate the capture buffer description
DSCBUFFERDESC bufferDescription;
bufferDescription.dwSize	= sizeof( DSCBUFFERDESC );
bufferDescription.dwFlags	= 0;
bufferDescription.dwBufferBytes = myWaveFormat.nAvgBytesPerSec;
bufferDescription.dwReserved	= 0;
bufferDescription.lpwfxFormat	= &myWaveFormat
bufferDescription.dwFXCount	= 0;
bufferDescription.lpDSCFXDesc	= NULL;

LPDIRECTSOUNDCAPTUREBUFFER captureBuffer;

HRESULT result = myDirectSoundCapture->CreateCaptureBuffer( &bufferDescription, &captureBuffer, NULL );
if( SUCCEEDED(result) )
{
  result = captureBuffer->QueryInterface( IID_IDirectSoundCaptureBuffer8, (LPVOID*)&myCaptureBuffer )
}

After initialization, when I actually start reading in data from the microphone the sound levels in Windows (everything in windows) drops by about 15db... you can barely hear anything. At the moment I call myCaptureBuffer->Start( DSCBSTART_LOOPING )

Anyone experienced this before or know of a solution?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.