Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Issue debugging shaders within Visual Studio 2012

Started by jdub Mar 15, 2013 at 5:53 AM 3 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
jdub
jdub

I am trying to debug shader source code and step through the shader with breakpoints as would have been done in PIX. According to MSDN, Visual Studio 2012 should have this functionality integrated within the editor. However, when I try to debug the shaders for the DynamicShaderLinkage_FX2010 sample (as well as any other directX project including my own) visual studio says that there were "No Symbols Found" for the shader. I have looked through the MSDN forums and there doesn't seem to be much on this issue. Anyone else have this issue and been able to solve it?

J.W.
NightCreature83
NightCreature83

I am trying to debug shader source code and step through the shader with breakpoints as would have been done in PIX. According to MSDN, Visual Studio 2012 should have this functionality integrated within the editor. However, when I try to debug the shaders for the DynamicShaderLinkage_FX2010 sample (as well as any other directX project including my own) visual studio says that there were "No Symbols Found" for the shader. I have looked through the MSDN forums and there doesn't seem to be much on this issue. Anyone else have this issue and been able to solve it?

Did you compile the shaders with the debug flag as otherwise the HLSL compiler will not generate symbols to debug with.

Ravyne
Ravyne

Firstly, are you using Visual Studio Express? or Pro, Premium, or Ultimate? Shader debugging isn't available in Express.

Secondly, what process are you following to start debugging? Its something of a multi-step process.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");
jdub
jdub

Yep. It was the debug flags. I feel so derp right now

J.W.
Veiled Glitch
Veiled Glitch

Yep. It was the debug flags. I feel so derp right now

Hehe, don't worry, it happens to us all wink.png

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.