Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Fracture plug-in/script for Maya

Started by Aleksander Naumenok Mar 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM 1 replies 3.5k views
Original Post
Aleksander Naumenok
Aleksander Naumenok

Hello folks, I am a student from Norway who has been desperatly looking for a script or plug-in that can fracture mesh Maya into small pieces. Its for a game project we are doing, we want to create a city enviroment where you can destroy buildings and walls. But we need to pre-fracture our meshes before we can apply any kind of destruction in Unity (save for a few plug-ins that can do it for us on runtime in Unity).

I tried different things like Apex and DMM for Maya. Apex is not supported in unity and I had trouble exporting my fractured mesh with DMM. Also some voronoi based scripts that did not work in Maya 2013 because they were outdated.

Need help badly :( Anyone?

Nercury
Nercury

I have only used "fracture voronoi" script for 3dsMax, and it did an amazing job. I am not sure if this info would be useful for you though :)

RobTheBloke
RobTheBloke

I tried different things like Apex and DMM for Maya. Apex is not supported in unity and I had trouble exporting my fractured mesh with DMM. Also some voronoi based scripts that did not work in Maya 2013 because they were outdated.

If the source is availlable for the DMM exporter, modify it until it works. If not, write your own exporter. That mind sound a bit ridiculous, but trust me, it's the only approach I know that works for this type of problem (and luckily Maya is very good at giving you access to the actual data you need). See my old site http://nccastaff.bournemouth.ac.uk/jmacey/RobTheBloke/www/ if you need a crash course in the maya API.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.