Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How do I implement multiple material in deferred shading?

Started by YKMZY Mar 16, 2013 at 3:48 AM 5 replies 3k views
Original Post
YKMZY
YKMZY

How do I implement multiple material in deferred shading?

Do you have some great solution?

Thanks!

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Hannesnisula
Hannesnisula

This was the second google result when searching for "deferred shading multiple materials" and could perhaps be of help. It has a link to another page from NVIDIA with more information. I just skimmed it through so I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.

YKMZY
YKMZY

Isn't their an article on the web about doing this with 8-bits of one of your gbuffer's rendertargets?

Yes, But it's so terrible.

I want to present more material types in lighting stage, but I can't do that. One disadvantage of deferred shading is the limited amount of material types.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
YKMZY
YKMZY

This was the second google result when searching for "deferred shading multiple materials" and could perhaps be of help. It has a link to another page from NVIDIA with more information. I just skimmed it through so I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.

Whatever. Thank you to answer my question. Thank you very much!

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
YKMZY
YKMZY

This was the second google result when searching for "deferred shading multiple materials" and could perhaps be of help. It has a link to another page from NVIDIA with more information. I just skimmed it through so I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.

Before that I was using the second method in that article, but I known some issue so that I shouldn't take this way.
Well, I have new idea as your help. Thank you.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
JohnnyCode
JohnnyCode

deffered rendering demands one front pass, in which you fill the data to G buffers. Besides normals and position info, you can also fill in plain diffuse color, so I would render colors (materials) in front pass and have material pick logic in front shader. In deffered I would apply rest of shading that can be done on those data.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.